Thursday 18 April 2013

Experimental Animation

Finally complete (well, most of it). Unfortunately I didn't realise how time consuming cutting up shapes for every frame was hence the reason why there are numerous black sections in the video. The whole idea was to 'experiment' and see what I could make with certain media and although it isn't all done, I'm still happy with it but I now see how much more I would have needed to complete it. I've come through this knowing I did challenge myself but I didn't succeed this time. There are also various flaws in the animation- some sequences appear jittery because I didn't line the shapes up correctly after each frame.


Some inspiration:



This is where most of my inspiration for the cut-out idea came from. I think what draws me to this style of work is the fairytales and monochromatic colour scheme. There's depth to the images and the movements remind me of ballerinas with such grace and beauty.



Seeing as Harry Potter is an amazing piece of literature and series of films I put the little section of animation shown in 'The Deathly Hallows: Part 1.' It's more shadow puppet style than cut out but I'm interested in the defined forms of the people and the skeletal structures which define a human's shape. I also love the way fabric has been replicated in the ragged clothing of 'Death.'



It's not cut-out but it was still a big influence in defining shapes. Saw this video a couple of years ago and was mesmerised at how the forms she created morphed into other figures so effortlessly. I loved the way she manipulated the sand to create a story and this idea of forming a story from one image to another was the inspiration here.



Another sand story and again the defining shapes is what draws me to this style of singling out the shadows and leaving a blank space around the figures.

No comments:

Post a Comment