Saturday 27 April 2013

Cel Shading in Maya

As this is a complex sequence to have to animate with their being so many horses I thought I'd try looking for an alternative that makes creating 2D horses easier than just painting every frame individually. Fortunately with my interest in Japanese animation and keeping up with the latest animations to grace our world, I am already keeping track of a new film produced by Production I.G. called 009 re:cyborg. It's a 3D reboot of the old T.V. series Cyborg 009.  Although it's yet to be released on DVD I've looked at trailers and I've seen the process they went through to create a 2D animation which was originally built in 3D.




Below is the link for how they re-created the animation.

009 re:cyborg re-animation

I then used the process they used to flatten the maya horses I had done to make a 2D sequence.

 
I still need to make some adjustments such as the shadows and perhaps an outline to give a better suggestion of 2D. At the moment I can still see that the horses were once 3D.



No comments:

Post a Comment