Sunday 21 April 2013

Background inspirations

For the background project I have started looking at layouts and lighting as I start to decide what parts of the Pirate storyboard I want to turn into backgrounds.
Below are the three shot choices I have chosen for backgrounds:

Interior: I think I'll remodel this shot because objects are in the mid and far ground. There isn't anything in the foreground to show depth and much of it is on the same level. This is going to be the first of the painted backgrounds which is required to have a key light source such as a lantern or window and a secondary softer light. Because I have both a lantern and a window in this image, both will be emitting light, but as I envision this scene to be nighttime I could use the window as the softer light source.
 
Exterior: This is the second of the backgrounds but for this it only requires a lined layout sketch. I have to take into account and make reference to aspects such as foliage, buildings and landscape features. As this is set on a ship, references would be of cannons, a ship's wheel and the mast behind the character. It's a good scene to look at due to the perspective required for the mast. Like the first image I may remodel this shot to include a spar (the thick pole that supports the sails of a ship) in the foreground to give greater depth.
 
Exterior 2: The third and final background but for this it must either be monochromatic or use complementary colours or harmonious/analagous colours. This shot, like the second image, is employing perspective on the ship which will be an interesting challenge along with depicting the sea. I'm currently thinking of using just the colour blue for this background, considering it is set at night, however the town in the background won't look like it's burning if I paint the flames blue. So another option is using complementary colours such as blue and orange. This will mean I can still use the idea of depicting night effectively and show heat emanating from the town.
 
Inspirational starting points:
 
Atlantis: Chosen mainly for the old objects as it closely resembles that of a pirate ship. It helps me to understand colour schemes.

Beauty and the Beast: Light source from the torch which I can use to help me create light in my interior scene with the lantern. I can also see where the shadows fall in the room.

101 Dalmatians: Monochromatic inspiration and it helps with lighting but the inking over the top doesn't appeal to me because it looks too messy. I prefer styles that don't have an outline with the only way to distinguish between two objects is the highlights and shadows.

Peter Pan: Ship inspiration but not a lighting scheme I'm interested in because it's below deck and I want the captain's quarters to have a warmer feel to it.

Sword in the Stone: Kind of complementary as it employs a blue/purple with orange/yellow. For my third background the colours would be the other way round with blue being the dominant colour and having the audience's eye drawn to the orange glow in the background.

Sword in the Stone: This is the kind of light scheme I'm opting for. It's warm and has a welcoming feel to it with the secondary light source coming from the window on the right. It's also complementary using blue and orange to depict light and shadow. Very much what I'm looking for in both the first and third backgrounds.
 
Pocahontas: Exactly the inspiration I'm looking for, for the third background and uses the colours I want. The eye is drawn to the fire in the middle making it a focal point, similar to the fire burning in my background.

Peter Pan: Ship inspiration

Peter Pan: Sea inspiration and could be useful as I try to better understand how to do the third background. The sky is red in this one so perhaps I could use orange to reflect the destruction being caused in the town as it illuminates the sky.

Peter Pan: More ship inspiration and understand what colours I need to use for a ship at night.

The Princess and the Frog: Light source from the lantern and the colours emanating from it is what I'm looking for, for the first background.

Peter Pan: Ideas for exterior and ship inspiration. It's not really the colour scheme I'm looking for, for my second background. The colours are too bright and in my second background the character is looking up at a giant wave that is about to destroy the ship so I want to make the colours darker to depict anxiety and fear.

These final two are from Treasure Planet concepts. Chosen for their monochromatic colour scheme and I was interested in how highlights are shown to draw the eye in. From both of these I can see the artist has used white to single out light sources and possible heat sources. More of his work can be found here: Treasure Planet concepts by Michael Spooner

 
 
 














No comments:

Post a Comment