Sunday 28 April 2013

Animation background

Background 1: Lighting

This is the interior of the pirate ship for my first background. I wanted to work with digital for this one because in the past I've always had to work with paints for A-Level and my Diploma so I haven't had much chance to get a feel for the use of digital paint and seeing as the industry is evolving towards more digital creations I felt I should move in the same direction. It's also a much quicker and less time consuming way of creating backgrounds as I can still paint like I would if I was using watercolour but I have the freedom to remove sections that don't work in the colour palette.

It's not the final background quite yet. At the moment this would be considered more of a concept piece of artwork because the painting is too rough and the outlines aren't defined well enough. If I was to place a character in the scene, he would look out of place. For this I was just trying to work out lighting and where the light from the lantern would reach parts of the room. This is so I can go straight into the final, more accurate, background by following the colour scheme I've already come up with in the concept piece.


Pencil lines- The first rough layout.


Initial colours- The base colours before I work more colour in and rough indication of lighting. I'm going to darken the globe slightly as there's too much glow emanating around the edge.


Concept piece- Final colour palette. As you can see this background is too rough, compared to other backgrounds I've seen. Also I've noticed the chest looks like it's on the same plane as the wall which is giving the appearance that the chest is moulded into the wall.



When I look at this background there is much more definition. There may be no outlines but I can clearly differentiate between the pillars and the back walls. This is the style I need to aim for.




No comments:

Post a Comment