Sunday 19 May 2013

3D Model and Adaptation Project

3D Model with texture and colour- The aim of the project was to go out and gather reference photos of textures, such as a broken wall or rusty lamp post, and replicate the textures in 3D.

I used both Maya and Mudbox to build the model and add detail and colour to create the image.


Reference photos







And the 3D replica



 
 
I didn't particularly enjoy doing this project because I found it quite difficult to replicate chipped paint in Mudbox using the brushes and textures available to me. In the end the lamp post had more rust than paint but at least I know for future reference that texturing in Maya is not what I'm interested in.
 
 
3D Animation Adaptation
 
 
This was a follow on from the 2D version of the project where I had to take an image of an environment and rebuild it in Toon Boom/Photoshop and add a camera move. This one was more enjoyable than the modelling although I had to problem solve how to add water to my scene. Throughout this project, I think I was spending most of my time just playing around with water in order to understand what effects worked the best. I went through pond shaders, ocean shaders and bump maps to find the best water interpretation and although the water is supposed to act more like a pond than an ocean I found the ocean shader gave the best effect.
Originally the scene is supposed to have waterfalls cascading from some of the rocks however I felt in Maya it made the composition too busy, as I already had a pool of water which, for me, was enough. If there had been character animation included in the scene with waterfalls then there would be too much information and the character's could easily become the least important aspects of the scene.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment