Thursday 22 November 2012

Point Constraints

After falling out with Maya, we finally re-kindled our friendship and I accomplished the idea of point constraints!
A point constraint causes an object to move to and follow the position of an object, or the average position of several objects. For example this is useful for when a person picks up a pen and puts it down somewhere else.

Below is my practice for using point constraints to connect the sphere to the cube and then the cube releasing it and moving off.

The other technique is switching between FK and IK modes when a person pushes against a static object. IK is inverse kinematics, this keeps joints 'stuck' in space so if you moved the torso the arms or legs would remain glued in their initial positions. Animating in this mode is not ideal because this movement moves in straight lines, similar to a robot. FK is forward kinematics, if I moved the torso the arms and legs would move with it and not be glued in place. Animating in this mode is better because it works on rotations and human movements work in arcs.
In my practice I begin in FK mode then switch to IK mode when I want the hand to remain in place whilst she peers over an invisible wall. It's basic animating, I was more worried about understanding the kinematics than the realisic movement!



No comments:

Post a Comment