Tuesday 7 October 2014

Blog Update

After the long summer break (and part of the start of the third year whereby getting my head to switch on again felt like trying to start a car with no will to live) I am resuming blog posts!
Before I gear the posts towards third year work and the films I'm working on and animations I'm watching, below is some commissioned work I was given over the summer, which includes painting portraits of pets as well as designing logos for two establishments.

Archie

Muma

Tor
 
 
Now I wasn't just painting commissions for people so as well as this I had been busily painting portraits of horses and ponies at the riding stables I work at so they could be turned into cards and sold as souvenirs.
 
 
And I'm just throwing in my portrait I did of my old rabbit.
 
Smudge
 
 
And then like I mentioned earlier, I was also asked to design a new logo for the stables to use on t-shirts for staff and kids to wear. The client asked for something simple as they didn't want to spend too much money on the embroidery but to just throw ideas their way and see what they thought.
 
I wanted it to have some relation to where the stables was located so close to the sea and because the stables offers beach rides I felt a horse walking amongst the waves would look appealing to the public. The model for the horse even came from one of their own so everything about the logo had some value to the client. The two versions below were turned down however due to budget and the amount of embroidery required for the logo.


Back to square 1 and an idea came from the client about incorporating the name of the stables into the logo like 'Using the legs to form the R.' I said I could try working some ideas out however I did stress that working one letter into the logo may mean losing the letter, turning 'Roylands' into 'Oylands.' However after careful designing and feedback being obtained from family and going back and forth between the client we had a logo which has now been printed on t-shirts and was worn by all members of staff and the children who helped.

 
 
 
This design work then led into me designing a logo for the farrier who visited our stables every week to shoe the horses. The brief was a bit more specific with more focus on the objects in the logo having to look real. In this case he asked for horses and horseshoes with the horse-shoes looking real with the nail holes in the correct places. Originally he asked for a cob type horse for the other part of the logo but because he also shoes race-horses as well as the standard riding horses, he was persuaded into having a more universal horse shape.
I played about with the horse design on a small scale then drew up one logo with several colour variations which I showed him and he accepted the logo on the spot alongside the colour scheme. One very happy customer!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment