Sunday 19 January 2014

11 Second Club- Pony Problems final animation


This is my final render of the 11 Second Project called 'Pony Problems.' Inspired by the work of Simon Tofield and 'Simon's Cat,' it centres around a stubborn little Shetland pony who favours the stable more than the great outdoors.
Created using Toon Boom, I used a new working method for me, working from animatic to rough frames to full detail renders to create this little short. It's the most enjoyable project I've worked on so far as using this working method allowed me to enjoy the creative process and know that after each stage in creation, I didn't need to go back and redo an entire movement because the rough sketches were already laid out for me to follow.
My main focus was ensuring stretch, squash, anticipation and overlap were clearly visible as the style I was aiming for was an exaggeration of these principles. I believe I accomplished this, I could have pushed it further but I didn't want to move further away from the style I was intending.
The timing was already set out for me to follow as I wasn't allowed to edit the audio in any way so apart from having to tweak the timing of the horse a bit so horse and rider weren't both moving at the same time, I think it's spot on.
Weight only really factored into the rider's performance as the principle was only minimally used for the horse seeing as we only see his head and neck and the little pony, none at all as we don't see much of him. Of course I had to think about the weight of the horse's head and how gravity would affect it but more focus was put into the attitude of the rider as she slouches around the screen with heavy, sulking footsteps. I perhaps could have put more emphasis on weight for the horse as he drops his jaw open at the sight of the rider leaving the fallen nameplate on the floor and made the rider's footsteps look heavier, putting more exaggeration into her emotion of anger but I think, again, I didn't go further due to style.
Overall, I thought I had taken a bigger step forward in my animating skills as not only have I improved on the principles I learnt last year but I've gained more experience in Toon Boom by problem solving the use of the tools to better understand the way they work. Doing this project has helped me to better understand the 2D animating process and I'm more inclined to enjoy further projects using 2D over 3D because I came from a more creative background so drawing has always been my strong point.


No comments:

Post a Comment